The 2019 Green Alliance Annual Debate discusses the ways in which earth observation and data science can improve our understanding of and ability to address environmental issues - for example, monitoring deforestation or water levels in reservoirs in real time through satellite images.
- Will Marshall, co-founder of Planet, which uses satellite data to track environmental issues.
- Sam Adlen, chief strategy officer at Satellite Applications Catapult.
- Corli Pretorius, deputy director at UNEP World Conservation Monitoring Centre.
- Dr Emily Shuckburgh of the British Antarctic Survey.
- Professor Ian Boyd, chief scientific adviser to the UK’s Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.
View the debate here and read a summary here and a relevant blog post here. See also the Foodsource chapter Food systems and contributions to other environmental problems.