The Food and Agricultural Organisation of the United Nations (FAO) has released the 2018 edition of its report on food security and nutrition around the world. The report give key statistics on several indicators of nutrition and explores the links between climate-related events and food security.
Key findings include:
- Around 10.9% of people were undernourished in 2017, a slight rise since 2015
- Undernourishment is becoming more prevalent in South America and most regions of Africa, but child stunting has decreased globally
- Rates of exclusive breastfeeding under the age of six months have increased (to 40.7% in 2017), and are higher in Africa and Asia than in Northern America
- Anaemia among women of reproductive age is increasing in prevalence (to 32.8% in 2016)
- Overweight in children remains stagnant, while adult obesity rates are rising (to 13.2% in 2016)