The United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) has published its first edition of the Global Land Outlook (GLO), addressing future challenges and opportunities for the management and restoration of land resources in the context of sustainable development.
The GLO is a communications platform and publication that demonstrates the importance of land quality to human well-being, assesses current trends in and driving factors for land conversion, degradation and loss, provides scenarios for future challenges and opportunities, and presents a new vision for land management policy, planning and practice at global and national scales.
Some of the challenges and opportunities for sustainable land resources management and restoration that the GLO addresses are:
- food, water and energy security;
- climate change and biodiversity conservation;
- urban, peri-urban and infrastructure development;
- land tenure, governance and gender; and
- migration, conflict and human security.