Advertiser's description (via Tortoise Media)
Why are we here?
The world needs a different kind of newsroom. Not chasing breaking news, but revealing what’s driving it. Built to cover stories not as they happen, but when they’re ready. Where everyone has a seat at the table. We’re here to build a journalism that lasts. A business model that’s responsible and sustainable.
What is the Tortoise Intelligence Team?
The Intelligence team produces index and data projects to make complex data clear, explainable and comparable. See examples of our work here: https://www.tortoisemedia.com/intelligence/
What’s my personal contribution?
You will be working on Tortoise’s Responsibility100 Index, a pioneering ranking of the FTSE 100 that investigates companies’ performance on social and environmental indicators. You will also be working on The Better Food Index, a ranking of the 30 largest food companies in the UK based on sustainability performance.
As a researcher on these large-scale ongoing data projects, your role will involve researching and investigating these companies, as well as liaising with them directly about their data.
We are looking for a researcher who is passionate about holding companies to account for their sustainability performance, with prior experience and understanding of ESG and ideally knowledge of food sustainability.
What are my responsibilities & accountabilities?
- Identify and collect detailed data from annual reports, government strategies and other source material.
- Read and record literature and references on corporate & food sustainability, ESG, Green investment and other related topics.
- Respond to specific research questions.
- Liaise with FTSE 100 companies about their sustainability performance.
- Work in a team to respond to and resolve specific research questions.
- Summarise transcripts and interview notes from conversations with sustainability experts.
- Analyse data from the Index (using Google Sheets) and contribute towards our editorial output.
- Support the writing of methodology documents, reports, and key results pieces
What do I know? Key knowledge, skills and experience
- Extreme attention to detail is essential
- Good copywriting skills
- Clear, diligent referencing
- Working knowledge of key sustainability issues and themes
- Confident handling large data sets
- Some data analysis and data visualisation skills (Flourish or similar tools)
- Curiosity about new topics and willingness to dig deep
Desirable knowledge, skills and experience
- Interest in current affairs, sustainability, technology, economics, business and other social forces that are shaping the world
- Experience leading and scoping projects
- Experience (or interest in) working in a newsroom or media startup
- Experience with Google Sheets and Python
- One year or more of experience of working in sustainability
What do I show? Essential behaviours
- Problem solver
- Able to work independently and in a team
- A pleasure to work with: positive, enthusiastic and open to ideas
What are we offering?
- Competitive salary + bonus (team and individual)
- 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Private Healthcare
- Group Income Protection
- Group Life Assurance
- Cycle to work scheme
- Interest free season ticket loans
- Birthday off work
- Free snacks and drinks in the newsroom
Interested? Please apply with your CV and a short cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “APPLICATION: Researcher (Sustainability and Food)” by 26th September 2022.