Advertiser's description (via The American University of Rome)
The Conference focus is on the wave of the so-called disruptive technologies developed by mission-oriented entrepreneurs in the name of sustainability and food security: novel foods. These range from cellular meat, plant-based meat alternatives, microorganism-based and insect-based proteins. Similarly, innovations in controlled environment agriculture (CEA), encompassing a variety of indoor farming systems and vertical farming, aim to free fresh produce production from the risks and rhythms of the natural environment, integrating it into urban life.
Keynote speakers: Prof. John Wilkinson, Rural Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (in person)
George Monbiot, Writer, Journalist, Environmental and Political Activist (online)
The themes for contributions include:
- The institutional characteristics of the new food innovation ecosystem
- Novel forms of food production: Controlled Environmental Agriculture (CEA), characteristics, social and governance dimensions
- CEA as a reconfiguration of rural urban perspectives?
- Novel foods: the extent of their adoption and their impact on diets
- Consumer responses: vegetarianism, veganism and flexitarianism
- Responses of different social movements – environment, animal welfare, food and health
- Alternative proteins, including insects: a new problem for food security or part of the solution?
- Plant-based proteins: consumption and production issues in the EU and US
- New forms of intellectual property in food and implications for food security
- The impact of current innovations for agriculture, farmers, global food chains and local food systems
- Current innovations and new axes of global governance.
Deadline for the extended abstracts (800-1,200 words, including introduction, methodology, results, discussion and conclusions) and a short CV: 30 November 2022
Send submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Notifications of acceptance status will be made by January 2023.
More information on the Conference can be found at https://aur.edu/novelfoods2023
Maria Grazia Quieti &
Maria Fonte: email@example.com